25 Behavioural Interview Questions for Engineers
There is a proverb which says morning shows the day. It is equally true when it comes to recruiting the employee. That is why most of the company would love to know the candidates past so that they can predict their future performance and attitude.
These days more than technical interview questions, HR manager asks behavioral questions to the candidates. Behavioral interview questions are often based on the potential employee’s past behavior, attitude and their honesty and integrity so that they can predict future behavior.
Most of the time these type of behavioral question begins with the phrase, ” Tell me more about a situation when….” . To answer this type of question you need be better prepared and need to understand the requirements of the position you are applying for. These type of questions plays a big role in interviews.
Hiring managers, company, and employers often use behavioral questions to get an overall idea if you can handle the particular situation well and have certain skill sets and competencies required for that specific position.
Often most of the engineer don’t know how to answer those behavioral question. They often panic and fail to answer the question in depth. The best way to answer those questions is to prepare them well in advance. To answer those questions you need to basically prepare stories and answer them based on particular situation and circumstances.
In this blog, we are listing common 50 behavioral questions that are vital for engineers to get their dream job.
- Describe a time where you needed to research a problem and come up with different alternatives to resolve it. How did you determine the most appropriate solution?
- Give an example of a time where you have needed to manage in a time of uncertainty, either restructuring, redundancies or a time where there has been a merge of organizations.
- Tell me about a problem that you’ve solved in a unique or unusual way. What was the outcome? Were you happy or satisfied with it?
- Are you a hard worker? If so how can I believe you? Justify
- Have you ever made a mistake? How did you handle it?
- . What do you do if you disagree with someone at work?
- Tell me about a time that you were confused by a customer’s request. What steps did you take to clarify things?
- Have you ever been in a situation where you needed to adjust to changes that were outside your influence or control?
- In any project, there are times that you will find that people lose focus of the objective. Can you describe a time this has happened to you and what you did about it?
- What has been the best idea you have come up with during your professional career?
- We have all had times where we’ve worked in teams that did not get along. Describe a time this has happened to you. What happened? What role did you take? What was the result?
- Share an example of how you were able to motivate employees or co-workers.
- What, in your opinion, are the key ingredients in guiding and maintaining successful business relationships? Give me examples of how you have made these work for you.
- When has a project or event you organized not gone according to plan? What happened? Why? How did you feel?
- Have you handled a difficult situation with a supervisor? How?
- What do you do when your schedule is interrupted? Give an example of how you handle it.
- What was the most stressful professional negotiation you have been involved in? How did you handle it?
- When have you seen your tenacity or resilience really pay off in a professional setting? What was the outcome?
- Give me an example of an important career goal which you set yourself and tell me how you reached it. What obstacles did you encounter? How did you overcome the obstacles?
20.Tell me about how you worked effectively under pressure
21.Describe the project or situation that best demonstrates your analytical abilities. What was your role?
22.How do you handle a challenge? Give an example.
23.Give me an example of a time you discovered an error that been overlooked by a colleague. What did you do? What was the outcome?
24.How do you keep track of multiple priorities and still focus on quality? Describe a time when you did this.
25.Give an example of a time where you have needed to manage in a time of uncertainty, either restructuring, redundancies or a time where there has been a merge of organizations